The farm and horticultural school of Matiti is a privileged place of hands-on training for the pupils, apprentices, trainees of continuing education and professional partners.
Its field counts 155 hectares (including 70 ha of prairies, 1 ha intended for the crop productions and 84 ha of primary forest).
The learners realize thus, throughout their course of practical work (1/2 day to one day per week), mini-training courses or school projects.
The farm employees as well as the manager will be pleased to welcome you to have you discover their products and production workshops (by appointment).
You can also download rates and place an order by e-mail, telephone, fax or postal mail.
- in the crop production field :
At the end of 2009, with the building of new greenhouses, the exploitation diversified and developed its productions with high technologies (fertirrigation, climatic management, potting automation).
These new tools allowed :
the multiplication of market seedlings (tomato, lettuce, pepper, cucumber, etc…) and ornamental (flowered plants, shrubs, and house plants) ;
the production of out-ground vegetables using specific techniques ;
- the production of a wide range of ornamental plants (palm trees, gardenia, etc…).
The farm also leads open and under field crops of market-gardening: cucumbers, peppers, cabbages, water melons, …
- in the livestock production field, there are deux workshops :
- a cattle stock of two races: Brahman and Gascon, that is, about sixty nursing cows. A corral of 1000 m2, a cow catcher park and 70 ha of meadow intended to the bovine herds ;
- A swine fattening workshop (sixty pigs) sold as livestock between 90 and 100kg ;
- dans le domaine des productions animales, où l’on compte deux ateliers :
- un cheptel bovin, composé de deux races : brahmane et gasconne, soit une soixante de vaches allaitantes. Un corral de 1000 m2 , un parc de contention et 70 ha de prairie sont dédiés aux troupeaux bovins ;
- un atelier porcin. Un mâle et sept femelles formant la troupe de reproducteurs élevés en plein air, pour une engraissement d'une centaine de porcs par an.
- experiments in the collaboration with the research and development partners (CETIOM, CIRAD, INRA, CNRS,…), the administration (in conformity with the Plant protection Organization of the DRAF) and the farmers (plot display/comparative crop management)
Innovating technical routes are implemented on the site of Matiti:
- search for fertilization layout adapted to the pédo-climatic conditions of Guiana ;
- pest control ;
- trial of alternative methods: mulching or plant cover, ground work, biological control.
- With work groups of the EcoPhytoDom program, selected as carrier of experimental activities and training for a better management and better use of pesticides.
In 2010, the Farm wishes to commit to Agri Environmental Measures:
- reduction of phytosanitary treatments in the market-gardening crop ;
- sustainable management of the grazier systems ;
- bovine genetic selection and improvement (race Brahman).
It is involved in the development of techno-economic references in all the manufacturing sectors currently put in place.
At this level, many actions are developed :
- hosting of meetings organized by the Professional Agricultural Organizations : APOCAG, Genesia, Network of Reference Farms ;
- hosting of demonstrations : Regional show of Agriculture ;
- greeting of the pre and primary schools, community centres “Discovering the farm"